Creamy Enchilada Soup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 30 minutes
Butter 1 tablespoon (15 mL)
Garlic, minced 3 cloves
Onion, chopped 1
Sweet red pepper, 1 large chopped (about 1 ½ cups or 375 mL)
Sweet potato, 2 cups (500 mL) peeled and chopped
Chili powder 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 mL)
Dried oregano and cumin 1 teaspoon (5 mL) each
Salt ⅛ teaspoon (0.5 mL)
Tomato paste ¼ cup (60 mL)
Diced tomatoes with juice, canned 28 oz (796 mL)
Black beans, canned, 19 oz (540 mL) rinsed and drained
Water 1 cup (250 mL)
Frozen corn kernels, thawed 1 ½ cups (375 mL)
Whole wheat flour 2 tablespoons (30 mL)
Milk 2 ½ cups (625 mL)
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided 1 ¼ cup (300 mL)
Jalapeño, diced 1 large
Optional Garnishes: Cilantro and lime wedges
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, red pepper, sweet potato, chili powder (to taste), oregano, cumin, and salt; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste to coat. Stir in tomatoes, beans, and water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove 2 cups (500 mL) of the soup and purée until smooth; return to pot. Stir in corn and bring to a simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk flour into milk; gradually pour into pot while whisking constantly.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in ½ cup (125 mL) of the cheese until melted.
- Ladle soup into warm bowls. Sprinkle each serving with jalapeño, remaining cheese, cilantro (if using), and lime wedges (if using).
Recipe Provided By: Dairy Farmers of Canada
Recipe Source: NutritionMonth2022.ca