These lentil spring rolls make a great addition to any meal or make a great party appetizer. Be creative and add your favourite veggies to the mix!
Ingredients (Yields 8 Rolls):
|1½ cups (375 mL)||cooked green or red lentils|
|6 Tbsp (90 mL)||sweet chili sauce, divided|
|To taste||salt and pepper|
|8||spring roll rice paper wrappers|
|2½ cups (625 mL)||baby arugula|
|1 cup (250 mL)||grated carrot|
|1 cup (250 mL)||finely sliced purple cabbage|
|1-2||finely chopped green onion|
|½ cup (125 mL)||bean sprouts|
- Combine lentils with 4 Tbsp (60 mL) sweet chili sauce in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Prepare rice paper wrappers: Pour warm water into a large bowl or baking pan. Working with one at a time, dip rice paper wrapper into warm water for 10-20 seconds or until wrapper is soft, yet still slightly firm and flexible. Immediately remove from water and place flat onto a cutting board or plate. Pat the wrapper slightly dry with a towel.
- Fill the rolls: Lay a layer of arugula on the bottom third of the rice paper, then 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) of lentils. Place a few pieces of carrot, cabbage, green onion, and bean sprouts down, and then a few leaves of arugula on top. Try to avoid overfilling the roll.
- Gently pull up the bottom of the roll, fold left and right sides in and roll up like a burrito. You can also leave both ends open if you prefer.
- After rolling each, place on a serving plate. Cut in half and serve with additional sweet chili sauce.
*Try adding try adding cooked vermicelli noodles or rice for extra bulk.
This recipe has been reproduced with permission from www.lentils.org . For more lentil information and recipes, check out their website.