- Dieticians are challenging Canadians to Take a 100 Meal Journey.
- Think about it: You'll eat almost 100 meals this month.
- Make a small change and stick with it over the next 100 meals.
- Need ideas? Ask a dietician!
Pledge to Take a 100 Meal Journey today!
Eating well can improve your health and help you to feel your best. We often have good intentions, but sometimes putting knowledge into action can be difficult. Making a lot of changes all at once can be overwhelming and hard to maintain. Instead, I encourage people to try and make small, positive changes that can last for the long-term.
Examples of small changes that can have a big impact on health include:
- Putting more veggies on your plate.
- Enjoying fruit for a morning or afternoon snack.
- Using smaller plates and bowls.
- Drinking water instead of sugary beverages, such as juice or pop.
I also encourage people to take a look at their food environment – both at home and at work. It can be hard to resist those sugary or salty treats that are staring right at you. Replace cookie jars and candy dishes with a bowl of fresh fruit. Keep cut-up veggies in the fridge at eye level so that they are the first thing you see. Limiting the number of less nutritious foods that are in your home and workspace can go a long way to helping you stick with your healthy habits.
Trying new recipes and meal ideas can also help to keep healthy eating fun and exciting. Simple things like adding mashed sweet potato to muffin batter or adding cooked lentils to ground meat can help put a new spin on your old favourites.
You may also want to give one of these recipes a try:
Baked Eggs with Lentils,
Barley & Lentil Salad with
Spice Roasted Peach &
Looking for more information and ideas? Use these dietitian-designed apps to support you in making healthy lifestyle changes: